Monday, December 6, 2010

Nick Lachey: Season 2 of ‘The Sing-Off’ Hits All The Right Notes

SOURCE

by Sean Daly

Newly engaged Nick Lachey is leaving the wedding plans to fiancée Vanessa Minnillo.

“I am allowed to help, but at the end of the day, I really want it to be primarily her influence on things,” he told us. “So I will be very supportive and agreeable, but probably not doing too much planning.”

Lachey, 36, has other things to keep him busy.

On Monday, her returns as host of ‘The Sing-Off’ – a five night singing contest for the top a cappella groups in America.

He couldn’t be happier to have rocker Ben Folds, Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger and Boyz II Men’s Shawn Stockman manning the judges table.

“I like being able to be objectively supportive of everybody,” he said. “That is how I see my role. Not having to make the tough choices is ultimately rewarding for me.”

Lachey also opened up about…

WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SEASON 2: “The one thing that will jump out at people right away is that we have gone from 8 to 10 groups. And we have gone from 4 to 5 episodes. The other thing is that the talent is just phenomenal. Even more so than in season one.”

LAST YEAR’S WINNER, NOTA: “They are in the process of releasing their first album right now. I remember those days, getting ready to promote on your first record. It is an exciting time.”

WHO MAKES THE CALL: “The judges determine who moves on in each episode. And as we get down to the final episode, the phone lines open and America votes. The last episode is live on December 20.”

HOSTING ON LIVE TV: “I actually prefer it. There is a little added pressure and the extra adrenaline. But you get one shot at it, you know. Let’s see what you’ve got. Certainly, you know, things don’t go as planned and you have to improvise. But I did theatre growing up, so I think there is something cool about ‘let’s go out there and do out best.’”

MISSING THE GOOD ‘OLE DAYS: “It is a contagious atmosphere to be around. If you are a singer or performer you cant help but want to be out there doing what they are doing. When I saw Nota win last year, it really brought back memories of getting that first record deal and thinking you are on the cusp of making it finally. It is refreshing to see that in these people. They are all striving for their dreams.”

MAKING MORE MUSIC: “I parted ways with Jive Records. The music business has gone through so many changes in the last year that this is actually a very exciting time to be on your own and be independent. So now I am my own record label. There are no rules. I have been in the studio for the last couple of months starting to work on a new project.”

A 98 DEGREES REUNION: “I definitely think I would like it. It is one of those things we have always kept the door wide open on. Certainly we have all gone on and done other things, but we have always kept that as an option. Right now there is no imminent plans, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one day that came true.”

0 comments: